Loading

Thursday, September 15, 2005

Duties Vs Interests

How many times have you faced tough time taking decisions? Particularly, in such moments where you had to select between to equally plausible solutions? I almost live with such moments. They occur every now and then. These days, I have got quite used to such situations. Whenever I plan to do some thing, two options (plans/ideas/methods...whatever) pop up, both seeming equally likely. Because of this, I end up wasting my time figuring out which one to eliminate. Recently, I thought I would figure what all this, actually is. On further thinking, I have found out that most of the times, the two choices were not of equal possibility. Rather, while one was what I wanted to do, the other was want I thought I should be doing to complete the task successfully. Let me make it easier for you by giving an example for this.
Say, at about 8:00 PM on a Sunday, I'm driving back from one of my friend's place. I have two options in front of me. The first one is to go home. Dad will be leaving to Viz in night. So, he would feel good if I meet him before he leaves. The other option is to go to gym. It’s been two days since I went to gym and so, its really important that I go.
At the first thought, this might seem like an exact fix that I was talking about. Both the situations demand immediate attention. On further musing, you can figure out that the later task is not just a task of high importance but also a task of your liking. So, you could say that it should be the one you should be doing. But, the way I see it is as follows. Consider the first option. It might not be the one in which you are really interested, but, even then, its competing hard with your interests convincing you to doing it. This very fact proves that it is of much more importance than the second one. Hence, you should go for it.

It happens several times. We often tend to get stuck between our interests and our duties. Though attending your interests make you feel good about your self, not attending your duties will certainly make you feel bad about your self. So, I would say, if you are held up in such cross roads, try weighing the importance of the individual options and then, act accordingly.
Hope this makes sense to at least some.
Luv

No comments: